It’s quite natural to feel the misery of your pet when they fall sick. You might get tangled in your emotions and try to treat your dog yourself by giving them human medication. While your level of care for your dog is admirable, there is also a high possibility that taking matters into your own hands in regard to your pet’s health can have severe repercussions. So, no matter how untimely your pet falls sick always seek advice from your vet or a medical professional before trying any Treatment on your pet.
Read on to know more about Treatment that you might find in your medicine cabinet but can be poisonous when given to your pet.
NSAIDs are known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. They are used as painkillers in humans as well as in animals.
Your pets can be extremely sensitive to these treatments and they can cause toxicity. NSAIDs like Motrin, Naproxen, Advil, Aspirin, and many others can have toxic effects on your pets. They are more likely to cause a bit of vomiting or diarrhea, or ulcerations and perforations of the gastrointestinal tract. They can also cause severe kidney damage to your pet. Make sure you consult your vet first and give your pets NSAIDs that are formulated exclusively for pets.
Acetaminophen is the generic name for the brand name medication Tylenol. It is also known as Paracetamol or APAP. These Treatments provide mild to moderate pain relief.
Acetaminophen, if given to your pet can cause serious damage to your pet’s organs, especially to your cat. If given to your cat it can destroy her red blood cells that might cause liver failure and often death. Dog’s can tolerate acetaminophen a bit better than cats but it’s always better to be safe than sorry.
Diaper Rash Cream
Not only oral medication but also topical treatments can cause health hazards to your pet. As animals have the habit of licking almost everything that piques their curiosity, using topicals can prove dangerous to your pet.
A diaper rash cream often contains zinc oxide that will create a barrier over your rash and protect you from causing further irritation. If this compound is ingested by your pet it can cause severe gastrointestinal irritation and can also cause vomiting and diarrhea.
Loperamide is the generic name for the brand name medication Imodium AD. This medicine is often used to decrease the frequency of diarrhea.
Loperamide, when ingested by humans helps us with diarrhea by increasing absorption of the fluids from the intestines and slowing down the normal movement of the gastrointestinal tract. In our pets, if diarrhea is caused by something infectious, like parvovirus or salmonella it causes many intestinal problems. In such a situation if your pet ingests Loperamide the increased absorption may translocate the harmful bacteria into the bloodstream, which will create major health problems for your pet.
Cough Treatment often contain a drug named dextromethorphan. Trying this on pets can cause toxicity. The signs of toxicity may include increased salivation, tremors, shaking, hallucination, seizures, and even death.
Coughing in your pets can be caused by heart disease, asthma, pneumonia, lungworms, and heartworms. If you try this over-the-counter Treatment to stop your pet from coughing it will only prolong diagnosis and can also cause toxicity.
If you have accidentally given human medication to your pet, any of the intoxications can be managed with early treatment. You should immediately contact your vet and start aggressive, and proactive treatment. Your vet might also advise you to make your pet vomit or provide them with intravenous fluid support. You should immediately take your pet to a veterinary hospital as only a medical professional can provide you with wise guidance in a fragile situation.