For the sake of overall well-being, practicing good oral hygiene is of paramount importance. Be it a two-legged species or a four-legged species like your furry pal, to neglect the daily routine of brushing or cleaning the teeth is like giving invitation to a plethora of dental diseases.
Oral system if not properly taken care of, leads to build up of plaque and tartar, which in turns takes the form of tooth decay and other dental issues. Today most pet parents visit vet with the common issue of their pet’s oral cavity. Therefore, a well-guided oral protection program is what ensures your pet’s oral safety.
As a pet parent, you must ask yourself these three questions to ensure your beloved friend’s oral health.
- What am I doing daily to clean my pet’s teeth?
- Am I ensuring the safety of my pet’s gums with the aid of different dental products?
- Am I taking the help of vet to leave no stone unturned in ensuring my pet’s oral hygiene?
Let us form a conclusion on above ideas one by one.
Your Daily Job As A Pet Parent
The same rule applies to your pet as well. That is, daily brushing, cleaning of dog’s teeth and maintaining healthy gums. Ideally, the practice of daily brushing of one’s pet teeth should start from the earlier days of parenting. The reason often cited is the ease in handling the same pet’s mouth when he gets old. The positive experience, he had during his pup days will ensure the smooth passage of oral protection program.
Now the basics-
- Whether your pet is young or an old monk, he should be comfortable with you playing with his mouth! Start with your fingers acting as a toothbrush.
- Once he get acquainted with your hands in his mouth, slowly jump over to a pet friendly toothbrush, to start the actual training.
- Now, take little amount of toothpaste specially meant for a pet, on the toothbrush. Brush your pet’s teeth gently and rinse the mouth with water afterwards.
- Do reward your pet after completing the session. Let it be a positive and joyful experience for him.
- This will ensure the coming days easy and full of fun.
Your Pet’s Dental Kit
The dental kit you have for your pet must have ammunition, which can fight bacteria in the mouth, and ensures non-buildup of plaque and tartar. The products, which are pet friendly and have shown resilience in fighting against plaque and tooth decay are-
- Orovet Oral Rinse– For Bad Breath, Gum Problems
- Pet Dent Gel- An Antibacterial dental product
- Checks growth of bacteria in the mouth of dog or cat
- Pet Dent Tooth Brush- A pet friendly brush, has a reach to every corner of the mouth
- Pet Dent Tooth Paste– Rich in flavour prevents tooth decay and gum diseases.
Along with above dental products, introduce your pet to chewing toys, dog biscuits, etc, which prevents the formation of plaque in the mouth.
Vet Visits For Dog’s Dental Care
For complete safety, security and satisfaction, take your pet to a veterinarian on a regular basis for a thorough dental check up.
In addition to this, contacting a vet become an immediate necessity, if you encounter any of the following symptoms in your pet-
- Red or swollen gums
- Bad Breath
- Bleeding gums
- Trouble chewing
- Build up of plaque and calculus
Regular vet visits is must for any wellness program and is essential aspect of pet parenting. Not only, it ensures the overall well-being of a pet but greatly reduces the chances of any forthcoming disease.
A Word Of Caution
It is noted that, pet parents do take interest in the oral hygiene of their pets, but could not sustain the same interest in the long run. The initial excitement and interest of pet parents somewhere get slowed down and transforms into treats, treats, treats for their pet. Obesity in pets is also one of the reason for this.
Prevention is better than cure. To save your time and money do take little penance in brushing your pet’s teeth, ensure him plaque free mouth, thus ensuring a case of overall well- being.