If you have a young cat then you need to worry less about her joints, but still precautions are necessary. However if you pet an old aged cat, who has started to show signs of restlessness, avoidance of exercising, decreased intake of diet, then you have a trouble mate. All these signs reflect that the kitty is undergoing joint pain or is having arthritis issue.
The definition of arthritis in cats is similar to that of the dogs – inflamed joints, joint aches and other name is degenerative joint disease. Nothing new till now but in felines it is quite uncommon that this condition will affect the elbow joint. The various major symptoms that the furry felines depict are:
- Joint Swelling
- Stiffness in joints
- Decreased physical activities
- Reduced flexibility and mobility
- Changes in grooming activities
- Cats being more grumpy
The treatment of arthritis condition in cats can be carried out in a number of ways. Few of them that are effective
1. Avoid increase in cat’s weight. This includes total avoidance of obesity.
2. Diet of the cat must be maintained. She must be fed with well balanced nutritious diet.
3. Exercise is necessary. To maintain a fit body, the cat parents should make her exercise regularly.
4. Massaging can relax the joints, increase the kitty’s flexibility, circulation and help her being fit. If you are unable to massage her then you can consult a vet or a professional massage therapist.
5. Various nutritional supplements are available in the market that are especially formulated for joint health care. These supplements are rich in Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate. Both these ingredients have strong potential to maintain the joint health of the cats and cartilage issues as well.
6. Various famous and top-notch treatments are easily available online as well as in local markets. These treatments have the tendency to lower the joint pain and inflammation, decrease the friction caused due to cartilage issues, repair the wear and tear and help in keeping the feline’s joints strong and fit. Few treatments are Joint Guard, Seraquin, Arthrimed Powder etc.
You can also take an initiative to make you feline’s life convenient who is suffering and dealing with the pain of arthritis.
1. Use soft bedding for her to sleep in comfortably.
2. Get a litter tray that has a lower side, more accessible to the elder felines.
3. Keep food and water near to her all the time so it is easily accessible.
4. Groom her yourself and clean her well since she won’t be able to reciprocate like old times.
5. Regular trimming her nails and coat fur is also essential.
Keeping these points in mind you can at least provide your cat with a happy and stress-free life. Cats are lazy pets and require your help a lot in various aspects of life.