A dog can be the role model for friendship, he follows the most essential rule of being friends, “No complaints, no demands”. He practically neither asks for anything, nor complains about anything. But, we could be always there for them to protect.
Heartworms are one of the fatal issues that could take your dog’s life away. It is very necessary to protect your friend’s heart before these worms spread any heartworm diseases. One of the most recommended heartwormers by veterinarians is Heartgard Plus for dogs. This product from Merial is an oral treatment for dogs which prevents the occurrence of heartworms, roundworms and hookworms.
The best thing about Heartgard Plus is that it is a real beef flavored tablet. This is a monthly treatment, which can protect your pooch from these worms for a whole month. This broad-spectrum treatment is recommended to continue for 12 months. Before starting with this treatment, it is recommended to get your canine checked for heartworms. You may start with this monthly chew only if he is not infected.
Heartgard Plus for Dogs is available in three different packs. These packs are classified on the basis of the different weight range in dogs. Before starting with this chew, it is recommended to weigh your furry pal and select the pack in which his weight falls. It is safe to treat adult dogs and puppies above 6 weeks of age.
Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate are the two active ingredients in this chewable. Ivermectin prevents the heartworm infection by killing immature form of parasites that are transmitted from mosquito bites. Pyrantel Pamoate on the other hand protects dogs against intestinal worms like roundworms and hookworms.
Every treatment has its own merits and demerits. Heartgard Plus is no exception. Let’s have a look at its pros and cons:
- Being an oral treatment with a tasteful beefy flavor, the administration of Heartgard Plus for Dogs becomes a lot easier. Your pooches may love this treatment for its flavor and you could be free from messy spot-on treatments too.
- If you have more than one canine, there would be no necessity to separate them after this chew is administered, unlike other spot-on treatments.
- “Heartgard Plus” has a “Plus” in its name for a reason. And, this reason is that it will not only prevent your furry friend from heartworms, but also from roundworms and hookworms.
- This one chew can keep your tyke safe and healthy for all 30 days. It will fight the wormers and its diseases for one whole month.
- It has Ivermectin as a key ingredient. This active ingredient can be allergic to certain breeds like collies. It is recommended not to administer these chews to such breeds. It may show adverse effects on them.
- This treatment is safe to administer to dogs and puppies above 6 weeks of age.
- It is advisable to choose the pack cautiously, according to your canine’s weight.
- It is recommended to treat your poodles with Heartgard Plus every month and continue it for 12 months. This will shield your pet for a whole year.
- It is better if this tablet is chewed by the pooch and not directly swallowed. If he resists chewing, then crush the tablet and sprinkle on his food.
- Test your friend for heartworm infection before starting with this treatment. Start administering these chews only if your dog is not infected by the worms.
- After giving out one dose, keep the other chews in the same pack.
- Though there are no side effects seen other than ivermectin allergies, if your pooch shows any unusual signs, consult your vet immediately.
In all, Heartgard Plus for dogs can be your perfect treatment to prevent your tykes from heartworms, roundworms and hookworms. Try this tasteful beefy chew and keep your pooch safe from the fatal diseases.
You would be interested in reading this too: 2 Highly Effective Generic Heartworm Preventive Treatments for Dogs