December has just begun and in no time our streets will be filled with Christmassy snow. All the people must have ignited the fire places to seek comfort in this cold weather. Along with the obvious reasons of chilly weather, the festive season will also play a role in igniting decorations and candles.
According to the Pet Fire Safety tip sheet from the National Fire Protection Association, pets and animals play the key role in starting fire in almost 700 houses per year. Cooking equipments, fireplaces, chimneys, lightings, and candles are some of the major sources of fire ignition. With snowy and festive atmosphere around, how will you keep your canine safe from fire?
Let’s check what we could do to avoid a fire mishap!
- Avoid burning candles or space heaters in your absence. Blow off the candles and turn off all electric appliances which could be reached by your furry friends as soon as you leave that room.
- Use battery operated candles to spread ambience instead of original candles for dates. If you are one of them who prefers real aura then it is important that you do not leave the fire unattended.
- Keep your canines away from stoves, ovens, and countertops. If you are going to leave your pet alone at home, do not forget to remove the stove knobs. Dogs are curious by nature and they may enjoy counter surfing in your absence.
- Keep all electrical cords away from your dogs especially if he has a habit of chewing things. Plan it ahead and include your dogs in household fire drills to avoid panic runs in accidental situations.
In all, the most important tip for your pooch’s safety is to never leave him alone with an open fire. Make sure to blow off the candles when you are done with them and never leave them unattended. Use these tips for keeping your furry friend safe from fire during these months of cold and festivities. Have a happy December!