Fleas and ticks are irritating facts of life for pets and pet owners. Any time your dog goes out into the world, there are high chances of fleas and ticks infestation. A major share of the pet care industry contributes to supply products to combat fleas as well as to prevent them from becoming an issue. There are a plethora of products available in the form of chewable, spot-on and collar treatments to control and eliminate fleas and ticks. In the overabundance of products providing similar results, it can be a bit overwhelming to choose the right product for your pooch. When it comes to flea and tick treatments there are mainly three options that include: topical, oral and collar treatments.
Hence, it is imperative for pet parents to learn the difference between available products and this post will help to do that.
Read More: 6 TRENDING ALTERNATIVES OF FRONTLINE PLUS
Topical Flea & Tick Treatment for Dogs
The topical treatment includes shampoo, powders and spot-on solutions that provide immediate relief by killing or preventing fleas and ticks. Mainly, spot-on are oil-based treatments that don’t require your dog to intake those tablets nor have you to inject them. All you need to do is target the area on your pet’s shoulder or back and apply the spot-on treatment. These are the three prevailing spot-on treatments you can choose from:
- Bravecto Topical Eliminates existing fleas within 8 hours and ticks within 12 hours of application
- Treats Flea Allergy Dermatitis
- Works for 3 months
- Easy to apply
- Removes future infestation when used regularly for 3 months
- Frontline Plus kills fleas and also eliminates brown dog ticks, lone star ticks, deer ticks, and American ticks.
- It kills 100% fleas within 12 hours and ticks and chewing lice within 48 hours of application.
- Suitable for all breeds of 8 weeks and older puppies and dogs
- A waterproof treatment that protects your pup from fleas and ticks also after swimming and bathing.
- Aids in the treatment of Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)
- Revolution Spot-on not only kills fleas but also prevents heartworms, heartworm diseases, sarcoptic mange, and ear mites
- It is an easy-to-apply spot-on treatment
- Effective treatment for multiple parasites found in dogs
- Waterproof and odorless treatment
- Safe to treat 6 weeks and older puppies, adult dogs, breeding and lactating females
Oral Treatment for Flea & Tick for Dogs
Unlike topical flea preventatives, oral treatment is way more convenient and easy to administer. The oral treatment is more like a treat for your dog. Here are the prevailing oral treatment products you should know.
- An advanced flea and tick oral treatment
- Nexgard is easy-to-administer, palatable beef-flavored chew for dogs
- Kills and controls adult fleas as well ticks including the deer tick, Lone Star tick, and American dog tick
- It a chewable treatment that doesn’t affect your dog’s swimming or bathing
- Suitable to any breed of dogs as well as puppies 8 weeks of age and older, weighing 4 pounds of body weight or greater.
- Simparica is available in 6 different packs categories as per the dog’s body weight
- Fast, effective and easy-to-administer flavored chewable treatment against fleas and ticks
- Prevents flea infestation and controls tick infestation
- Suitable treatment for dogs of 6 months of age or older weighing more than2.8 lbs
- Rapid action treatment for fleas and ticks
- The tablet kills fleas, immature flea life stages, hookworms, roundworms, and whipworms
- Program Plus Long-lasting treatment that prevents re-infestation for 4 weeks
- A once in a month treatment that kills parasites and inhibits re-infestation
- Single, non-messy treatment for multiple parasites
- The tablets treat fleas and gastrointestinal worms in two weeks and older puppies and dogs
Collars for Flea & Tick Treatment for Dogs
Dealing and cleaning up fleas and ticks can be a nuisance when your pet is infested with them. But collars are great alternate preventative, let’s know why.
Bayopet Flea & Tick Collar for Dogs
- Bayopet Flea & Tick Collar for DogsHighly effective and affordable dog collar
- Prevents infestation of fleas for 16 weeks and ticks for 10 weeks
- Water resilient property
- Designed with a safety area in the collar that breaks excessive stretching to prevent dog choking
Preventic Tick Collar
- Designed for 12 weeks and older puppies and dogs
- Protects pets from tick-borne diseases such as Lyme Disease and Rocky Mountain Fever
- Preventic Tick CollarEliminates existing tick within 48 hours
- Easy to maintain, waterproof and odorless collar
- Safe treatment for all breeds of dogs and effective for 2 months
- Shows 97% efficacy in killing all major type of ticks
- Controls fleas infestation up to 8 months and eliminates chewing lice for a month
- Seresto Collar Kills and control sarcoptic mange and destroys flea larvae
- Safe to use on dogs 7 weeks of age and older, easily fits all dog sizes
- Water resilient and easy to wear a durable collar
Top 5 Flea and Tick Collar for Pets
All these treatments are the best flea treatment for Dogs in 2020 although it can be hard to choose one particular product for your dog from many. However, all you need to heed is your pet’s lifestyle and what you want to protect him against most. No matter which flea and tick prevention method or treatment are best for you and your pets, ensure to make the application and administration method pleasant. All your love and praise for your pet can make these moments a lot less stressful.
Read More: FAQs : Flea And Tick Collars