A Renowned legend, Frontline Plus has been a product that’s been ruling the flea and tick treatment market for over one and a half decade now. Pets and their parents have accepted and trusted this product and made this one of the highest selling products every year. But even the most celebrated products have some shortcomings.
Though the product is still as effective as it was but in some cases, it has been observed that the parasites have become resistant to its ingredients.
Hence, it is not a bad idea to be ready with alternatives or have knowledge about them. So let’s start-
Top 6 Alternatives Of Frontline Plus And There Benefits
Coming from the same manufacturer, Merial (now a part of Boehringer Ingelheim), and following the footsteps of Frontline plus, Nexgard has also broken the market of ectoparasite treatments. The monthly chew has Afoxolaner as the active ingredient that kills parasites like fleas and ticks by overstimulating their nervous system. Read the benefits below.
- Works for an entire month and makes your dog 100% flea and tick free
- Kills fleas before they can lay eggs
- Also treats ticks like Lone Star ticks, Black-legged ticks, American dog ticks, and Brown dog ticks
- A beef flavored chew that is very easy to feed
- Compared to other oral flea and tick treatments, this tasty chew treats and controls different ticks along with fleas
- Free from the mess of topical application with no worries about washing away of flea and tick solution
- It’s effective when taken along with heartworm preventive
- Can be used on puppies 8 weeks of age or more and weighing more than 4 pounds
A long-lasting flea and tick treatment, Bravecto is manufactured by Merck and the active ingredient Fluralaner remains effective for a surprisingly 3 month’s period. The ingredient kills fleas and ticks by acting as an inhibitor of the arthropod nervous system. The mode of action of fluralaner is the antagonism of the ligand-gated chloride channels (gamma-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-receptor and glutamate-receptor). Available for cats (topical solution) and dogs (chew and topical solution), the treatment is suggested by many vets.
- Bravecto is a broad spectrum and long-lasting effective treatment against fleas and ticks
- It is a fast acting remedy and starts killing fleas within 2 hours of administration
- 3 monthly treatment that is popular among pet parents
- Bravecto is active against ticks like black-legged ticks, American dog ticks, and brown dog tick
- For the control of lone star tick, Bravecto should be administered every 8 weeks
- Being a long-lasting treatment, the formula helps in maintaining consumer compliance
- This effective flea and tick control product is safe in breeding, pregnant and lactating dogs
- Can be used on dogs aged 6 weeks or more and weighing at least 4.4 lbs. In cats, the kitty should be at least 3 months of age or weighing more than 2.6 pound.
A unique parasitic treatment that terminates fleas, ticks, mosquitoes, flies, chewing lice and biting insects. The ingredients Imidacloprid and Permethrin present in it treat dogs by paralyzing parasites and killing them. Manufactured by Bayer, the topical solution prevents your pooch from parasite borne diseases by parasites by killing multiple parasites.
- The treatment remains effective for 4 weeks
- Terminates fleas in 24 hours and all types of ticks within 48 hours
- Eradicates mosquitoes and keeps them at bay for 2 to 4 weeks
- Kills fleas before they can lay eggs
- Keeps the surroundings parasite free thus preventing re-infestation
- A great help in Flea Allergy Dermatitis (FAD)
- Single treatment treats multiple parasites
- Waterproof treatment
- It is safe for 7 weeks and older puppies
- Safe to be given to pregnant and nursing female dogs.
Activyl is for dogs and cats both, it is a one-time monthly spot-on treatment that treats adult fleas and flea larvae hence preventing re-infestation. Manufactured by Merck Animal Health, Indoxacarb the active ingredient of topical treatment kills parasites with the process of bioactivation. The product activates indoxacarb through flea’s own enzymes. The activated ingredient then destroys fleas and larvae by hindering the nerve transmission which results in the treatment of fleas. The topical solution is apt for dogs and cats aged eight weeks and more.
- Prevents re-infestations by terminating adult fleas and flea larvae
- The bioactivation process is a new and effective process to kill fleas
- Fast action treatment that kills fleas within 8 hours
- Waterproof treatment
- Odorless treatment
- The efficacy is not hampered even after the exposure to sunlight
- Helps in reducing the effects of flea allergy dermatitis (FAD).
Simparica, a flavored chewable tablet, is manufactured by Zoetis and is outstandingly effective against fleas and ticks. The oral treatment remains effective for one month.
The active ingredient, sarolaner, kills fleas and ticks by causing an uncontrolled neuromuscular activity.
- Palatable flavored chews that are very easy to feed
- Can be given directly into the pet’s mouth or mixed with food
- For puppies 6 months of age or older and weighing more than 2.8lbs
- Quick action formula starts working against fleas and ticks within 3 hours of administration
- Starts its action against ticks within 8 hour.
Effipro Duo Spot-On
The effective and affordable topical solution by Virbac, Effipro Duo Spot-On kills fleas and ticks easily with the help of its active ingredients Fipronil and Pyriproxyfen. The potent combination of sterilizes adult fleas and inhibits immature flea life stages. The spot-on is available for both cats and dogs. You just have to pick the correct pack.
- Very effective in controlling flea and tick infestations on dogs and cats
- Quick action treatment treats fleas in 24 hours and ticks around 48 hours
- The treatment remains active for a month
- Breaks flea life cycle for 3 months
- Safe for dogs and cats of all sizes and breeds
- The drop-lock pipette is very helpful for spill-free application
- Can be applied on dogs and cats 10 weeks of age and weigh them before the application and refer to pack insert
These 6 alternatives are by far, the best in the market and can be trusted. Make sure that you contact your vet before changing the flea and tick treatment and read the package inserts carefully. However, if you still want to use Frontline plus you can certainly use the product because the topical treatment is unequivocally the best flea and tick killer.
Preventing parasites is saving your pets from diseases.
You can find all of the above products at canadapetcare.com at affordable prices.